Job Vacancy Telecommunications Technician SpaceX
Job title: Telecommunications Technician
Job description: SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SpaceX technicians work in a complex environment supporting a variety of critical launch and landing activities. The launch communications team installs and supports the infrastructure used for all types of telecommunications in support of our launch vehicles and spacecraft, including the layer 1 fiber and copper data network cabling infrastructure, operational voice (both wired and wireless systems), mission video, ground-side vehicle and payload interface RF systems, ground stations, telemetry and optical tracking systems, marine communications, readiness testing, and other systems involved in real-time communications and operations for Falcon, Dragon, Starship and other missions.
- Install, terminate, test, troubleshoot, and document test results for fiber, network, audio, video, and RF cabling
- Install, test, and troubleshoot audio, video, and RF equipment
- Install cable pathway systems (cable trays, cable racks, J-hooks or D-rings)
- Install, terminate, test, label, and document horizontal, backbone and other cables
- Build out telecommunication and equipment rooms
- Install connectors, connector pins, terminals, and lugs
- Perform continuity checks, locate and correct wiring errors using measuring instruments
- Investigate, diagnose, correct, and document instrumentation or system malfunctions
- Perform complex technical assignments involving communications systems, instrumentation and data acquisition/processing systems
- Collaborate with team members to troubleshoot failures and issues derived from test data
- Read and interpret planning documents, schematics, wiring diagrams, specifications, drawings, manuals, blueprints, and engineering sketches
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of experience installing, testing, troubleshooting, and repairing: fiber optics, copper cabling (RF, Ethernet), network and telephony installation, and audio/video systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proven ability to install, terminate and test low voltage cables and fiber optical cables to include twisted pair, coaxial, stranded and solid conductor low voltage cables, single mode and multi-mode fiber optical cables
- Strong knowledge of industry standards (BICSI, NEC, TIA/EIA); different types of fiber (MM, SM) for interior and exterior usage; Cat5E, Cat6 and Cat6A data cabling; and cable pathways such as conduit, fire penetrations and cable trays
- Knowledge of the telecom network best practices and concepts including network security, network architecture design, technical standards and deliverables, troubleshooting tools (e.g., line analyzers, breakout boxes, and network traces), software and hardware installation and configuration, network hardware, and protocols (e.g., TCP/IP, DLC, and ASYNC)
- Working knowledge of audio, video, and wireless systems and corresponding physical means of delivery (i.e. analog, digital, AoIP, VoIP)
- Operational knowledge of oscilloscopes and multi-meters, soldering wires and connectors, various crimping tools, wire stripping techniques, Ohm’s law, continuity testing, pinning out a military type connector, routing and tie wrapping cables, drilling and tapping holes, and building junction boxes
- Experience with DC power supplies, DC-DC converters, heat shrink tubing, cable harnessing, lacing, and proper strain relief concepts
- Experience with IP and HD-SDI video cameras and infrastructure
- Comprehension of modern networking architecture and what is necessary for physical layer inter-connectivity
- Experience operating articulating boom lifts, fork lifts, scissor lifts, and other work site machinery
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- Ability to distinguish between different colors and possess manual dexterity to complete fine motor tasks
- Ability to work at elevated heights and/or tight spaces
- Physical effort including standing, lifting and carrying moderately heavy materials or equipment up to 25 lbs
- Regularly exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work occasionally performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Available to work extended hours, nights and weekends when required by mission milestones
- Ability to travel (~10-25%) as required to other SpaceX locations
- Typical 50 hour work weeks with overtime as required; schedule varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility is required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Telecommunications Technician/Level 1: $21.00/hour
Telecommunications Technician/Level 2: $26.00/hour
Telecommunications Technician/Level 3: $31.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Expected salary: $21 per hour
Job date: Wed, 09 Aug 2023 22:00:56 GMT
Apply for the job now!