Job Vacancy Sr Network/Telecommunications Engineer Puget Sound Energy
Job title: Sr Network/Telecommunications Engineer
Company: Puget Sound Energy
Job description: Puget Sound Energy is looking to grow our community with top talented individuals like you! With our rapidly growing, award winning energy efficiency programs, our pathway to an exciting and innovative future is now.
PSE’s IT Infrastructure team is looking for qualified candidates to fill an open Sr Network/Telecommunications Engineer position!
Specific details regarding the work arrangements for this position will be discussed in further detail during the interview process.
- Design, build and maintain PSE’s Wide Area Network. (WAN)
- Evaluates business requirements to develop solutions. Conducts project planning, cost analysis and vendor comparisons.
- Responsible for PSE’s private network and telecommunications infrastructure, including related hardware and software, to ensure reliability, recoverability and performance.
- Works with and provides internal PSE teams with designed solutions for new and existing network and telecommunication systems.
- Researches, recommends and designs new technologies providing consulting services to internal PSE teams and departments on existing and future capabilities of PSE’s WAN.
- Upholds the safety and compliance standards inherent in PSE’s operating and/or field procedures. Promotes and supports a culture of safety.
- Engineers and designs complex network and telecommunications infrastructure, services and interfaces with external networks.
- A successful candidate would be supporting, and designing solutions for internal customer backhaul utilizing technologies including MPLS, fiber, microwave, SONET/TDM, channel banks, and wireless
- Proficiently applies IT methods, design patterns, professional knowledge and PSE standards and practices to complex tasks and situations.
- Leads implementation and deployment efforts on designated projects and provides support to team members.
- Works with project managers to develop project estimates, budgets and schedules.
- Provides cost/benefit analysis on projects.
- Participates in mid to long-term network system planning.
- Ensures internal and external system security by adhering to compliance standards.
- Participates in evaluation of vendor proposals.
- Conducts system performance analyses, performance reporting and recommends changes when needed.
- Update and produces new network documentation resulting from work performed.
- May function in a lead capacity in workflow and escalation discussions.
- Establishes effective working relationships with business partners and peers.
- Coaches and mentors less experienced IT/telecom team members.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management or team leads.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and direct relevant experience.
- 5 years of technical networking and telecommunications experience.
- 3 years of experience in related planning, analysis, installation and system management.
- Extensive knowledge and experience working with OSI Model Layers 1, 2 and 3
- Advanced knowledge of WAN design, configuration, support, network protocols and network administration.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with IT infrastructure, MPLS, data, voice, Telco and networking practices and procedures.
- Ability to manage projects including schedules, resource allocations and budgets.
- Experience leading and participating in internal and external teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills, effective written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to analyze complex systems, solve problems, and multi-task.
- MS Office skills.
- Knowledge of industry best practices and technological leading edge developments.
- Advanced technical or business degree.
- Experience in engineering, design, construction, operation and maintenance of various network and telecommunication systems.
- Basic understanding of electric and gas infrastructures and field practices.
- Financial analysis skills to assess project feasibility and contribute to decision making process.
- Strong statistical and analytical skills.
- Nokia or Cisco Networking Certifications.
- Experience working with specific equipment such as but not limited to: Nokia 7705 SAR, 7750 SR, Nokia 1830 DWDM, Aviat Eclipse Microwave and Coriant/Infinera DNX.
- Python or other scripting language.
- Linux and Windows OS background.
- Experience using Wireshark or other packet capture tools for analysis and troubleshooting.
- Experience working with SCADA and Teleprotection system.
- Working knowledge of the following:
- MPLS architecture and supporting protocols such as IGP and label signaling (LDP and RSVP)
- MPLS service architecture to include VPWS, VPLS and VPRN
- Traffic engineering with constraint based routing in MPLS
- BGP routing protocol
- Working knowledge of precise network synchronization (TDM and packet)
- Working knowledge of QOS principles and implementations
- Extensive knowledge and experience working with IT infrastructure, TDM, IP, MPLS, data, voice and leased Telco.
- Extensive hands on experience with network and telecommunications designs and equipment configuration to include but not limited to: routers, switches, DACS, channel banks and microwave radios.
At PSE we value and respect our employees and provide them opportunities to excel. We offer a competitive compensation and rewards package.
The pay range for this position is $92,900.00 – $163,600.00, and this position is eligible for annual goals based incentive bonuses.
PSE offers a suite of benefits to our employees. Employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision, basic life, and short- and long-term disability insurance. There are additional voluntary options of supplemental life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, flexible spending accounts for health care and dependent daycare, and an Employee assistance program (EAP). For long term savings, PSE offers a 401(k) investment option and a cash balance retirement plan. Employees will also receive Paid Time Off (PTO) and Paid Holidays throughout the calendar year. Detailed benefit overviews can be found on our Career page – .
Families and businesses depend on PSE to provide the energy they need to pursue their dreams. Our steadfast commitment to serving Washington communities with safe, dependable and efficient energy started in 1873. Today we’re building the Northwest’s energy future through efforts like our award winning energy efficiency programs and our leadership in renewable energy.
Puget Sound Energy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status or presence of a disability that with or without reasonable accommodation does not prevent performance of the essential functions of the job, or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law.
Should you have a disability that requires assistance and/or reasonable accommodation with the job application process, please contact the Human Resources Staffing department at [email protected] or 425-462-3017.
Expected salary: $92900 – 163600 per year
Location: Redmond, WA
Job date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 22:46:44 GMT
Apply for the job now!