Job Vacancy Specialist, Transportation Management Graphic Packaging International
Job title: Specialist, Transportation Management
Company: Graphic Packaging International
Job description: POSITION SCOPE:
The primary mission is to ensure the timely delivery of the product based on exception processing of outbound and inbound loads using the corporate Transportation Management System (TMS) for carrier selection (based on cost, service, and level of commitment), accessorial processing, and proactively managing regional shipping area to increase automation and suggest/implement improvements.
- Adhoc cross-train and coordinate with GPI locations’ shipping /load planning coordinators, shipping managers, and production schedules to minimize data entry errors within the manufacturing system and in order to meet logistics and production goals.
- Research consistent volume lanes within the region, obtain permanent carrier rates on GPI rate addendum, and submit to Sourcing Manager for approval.
- Weekly and monthly provide carrier operational info (carrier tender time-outs, tender rejections, etc.) and route guide adds & changes (provide analysis of savings/increase in cost per change requested) to Sourcing Managers
- Manage IB and OB regional shipments by exception, timely accessorial processing, and troubleshoot & resolve shipping issues with internal and external parties. Once exhausted, escalate to Lead.
- Track and Trace shipments and provide pre-notification on shipment status to internal and external customers.
- Actively work to identify and implement short and long-term solutions to match inbound and outbound shipments including researching inbound, 2ndary fiber carriers and evaluate if the carrier meets requirements to cover outbound.
- Solicit, negotiate, and award spot quoted loads to meet or exceed the logistics cost/ton by BU goal according to department guidelines, procedures, and approval processes.
- Once confirmed, daily escalate carrier accidents and bankruptcy to Leads, Supervisor, Sourcing Managers
- Actively work with contracted carriers on meeting/exceeding operational requirements (service levels, equipment commitments, resolve failures prior to requesting removal, etc.) and strengthen the partnership.
- Attend carrier meetings and be prepared to discuss operation items that GPI needs for them to improve on, what they are performing well, etc.
- Weekly escalate BU operational issues to Planner Leads such as mode changes (permanent or short term?), GPI location short lead times, etc.
- Implement and maintain company policy and standard operating procedures to ensure compliance with the USDOT requirements.
- Proactively provide suggestions to Planner Leads to improve internal & external processes to automate workload, advance carrier performance, reduce issues to GPI end customers, improve GPI shipping, etc.
- In conjunction with the Logistics Sourcing Managers, Logistics Support, and Logistics Analytics, work with internal and external parties to bring issues to complete resolution.
- Maintain continuous contact with transport service providers to understand their daily operations and secure and coordinate uninterrupted transportation services and materials flow to and from North American markets.
- Maximize cost reduction and service opportunities through leveraging total corporate volume with truckload, less-than-truckload, and intermodal freight carriers.
- Provide assistance on shipping issues to customer service groups, sales and marketing personnel, plant purchasing, and plant shipping personnel.
- Provide weekend and evening support as needed based on the rotating schedule.
- Actively maintain individual metrics that support individual, dept, and company goals
- Assist with other Transportation Operations related tasks/projects as needed.
- Ensure adherence to all relative GPI policies & procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain, Logistics, Engineering, Finance, Accounting, or related field. Equivalent experience considered.
- 1-3 years as a Transportation Specialist/Planner utilizing a TMS (MercuryGate preferred) to manage shipments and transportation operations or logistics experience. Prefer candidate who has worked in brokerage.
- Intermediate proficiency in MS (Microsoft) Excel (vlookups, concat, pivot tables, charts, etc.) and Word
- Stable organizational skills, detail-oriented, and interpersonal skills
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
- Must be able to prioritize workload and deliver to timelines.
- Ability to define problems, to collect data, to establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Possess intellectual curiosity and initiative.
- Must be creative, resourceful, organized & able to work well independently & as part of a team.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced operational environment and handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate with all levels of employees and management.
- Ability to use technology to solve business problems.
- This position will support our West Coast facilities. Hours will be 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM (EST)
- The position requires occasional weekend hours.
Preferred / Plus
- Advanced MS Access, PowerPoint, and Visio skills and intermediate to advanced MS Excel skills
- Analytical skills and experience with BI / BW or similar reporting tools
- Paper manufacturing industry experience and systems (SAP preferred)
At Graphic Packaging International (NYSE: GPK), we produce the box you may have poured your child’s cereal from this morning, the microwaveable tray that heated your lunch, the paper cup that held your coffee throughout the day, and the carrier of those bottles of craft beer you may enjoy tonight! We’re one of the largest manufacturers of paperboard and paper-based packaging for some of the world’s most recognized brands of food, beverage, foodservice, household, personal care and pet care products. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, we are a team of collaborative, innovative, passionate individuals who are committed to providing consumer packaging that makes a world of difference.
With almost 18,000 employees working in more than 70 locations in North and South America, Europe and the Pacific Rim, we strive to be an environmentally responsible leader in our industry and in the communities where we operate. We are committed to workplace diversity and offer compensation and benefits programs that are among the industry’s best to reward the talented people who make our company successful.
If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you. Learn more about us at www.graphicpkg.com.
Inspired Packaging. A World of Difference.
Graphic Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their qualifications for the job in question. We do not base our employment decision on an employee’s or applicant’s race, color, religion, age, gender or sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic identity, genetic information, disability, veteran/military status or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Location: Atlanta, GA
Job date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 22:26:40 GMT
Apply for the job now!