Job Vacancy Senior Data Scientist – Amazon Transportation, Sort Tech Amazon
Job title: Senior Data Scientist – Amazon Transportation, Sort Tech
Job description: DESCRIPTION
The Amazon Transportation organization is seeking a talented, self-directed Senior Data Scientist to design data science models, run experiments, research new algorithms, and find new ways to improve middle mile analytics to optimize the Customer experience within the Sort Tech team. Sort Tech’s technology and services powers every package to move throughout the Amazon network. We enable across Associates and Robotics, and support the worldwide transportation network across Fulfillment Centers, Sort Centers, Air Gateways and more. We also build visibility platforms that enable operations managers to monitor and refine their volume and staffing, and optimize their operational processes. Our systems process millions of packages a day and ensure that Amazon can meet the customer delivery promise. Our mission is to build the most efficient and optimal transportation system on the planet using our engineering muscle as our biggest advantage.
As Senior Data Scientist you will work closely with other research scientists, machine learning experts, and economists worldwide, to design and run experiments, research new algorithms, and find new ways to improve middle mile analytics to optimize the Customer experience. You will partner with technology and product leaders to solve business and technology problems using scientific approaches to build new services that surprise and delight our customers.
This role offers wide scope, autonomy, and ownership. Science at Amazon is a highly experimental activity, although theoretical analysis and innovation are also welcome. Our scientists work closely with software engineers to put algorithms into practice. They also work on cross-disciplinary efforts with other scientists within Amazon worldwide. The candidate should be willing to take on challenging initiatives and be capable of working both independently and with others as a team.
Key job responsibilities
– Design data science models, run experiments, and research new algorithms.
– Own the science models for the complete lifecycle package forecasting within a facility.
– Drive actions at scale to provide forecasting visibility of upcoming volume using scientifically-based methods and decision making.
– Helping to build production systems that take inputs from multiple models and make decisions in real time.
– Automating feedback loops for algorithms in production.
– Develop input and assumptions based preexisting models to estimate the costs and savings opportunities associated with varying levels of network growth and operations.
– Utilizing Amazon systems and tools to effectively work with terabytes of data.
About the team
Amazon’s global fulfillment network ship items are ordered on Amazon to any place on earth. There is a complex network of Amazon warehouses through which packages travel before reaching the customer. With a scale of millions of packages, each with different attributes and delivery requirements, what results is a highly dense graph of nodes.
We have built a highly respected software engineering team which is focused on solving complex problems in worldwide transportation using workflows, optimization algorithms, and machine learning systems. These are large-scale distributed systems handling millions of packages being shipped through the Amazon logistics network.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Bellevue, WA, USA
– 5+ years of data scientist or similar role involving data extraction, analysis, statistical modeling and communication experience
– 5+ years of data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, Matlab, etc.) experience
– Master’s degree in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, data science, business analytics, economics, finance, engineering, or computer science, or Bachelor’s degree and 8+ years of professional or military experience
– Experience with statistical models e.g. multinomial logistic regression
– 2+ years of data visualization using AWS QuickSight, Tableau, R Shiny, etc. experience
– Experience managing data pipelines
– Experience as a leader and mentor on a data science team
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $127,300/year in our lowest geographic market up to $247,600/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.
Expected salary: $127300 per year
Location: Bellevue, WA
Job date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 03:02:45 GMT
Apply for the job now!