Job Vacancy Outside Plant Construction Technician I BendBroadband
Job title: Outside Plant Construction Technician I
Job description: Overview
As the Outside Plant Construction Technician I you will performs the general labor associated with outside plant construction for PON/fiber optic networks. This includes, but is not limited to, assisting with the installation of communications facilities (both buried and aerial). Work is performed in accordance with state and local regulations in a safe manner.
As an Outside Plant Construction Technician I, you will have the opportunity to obtain a Class A CDL through our in-house training program. You will attend safety training at one of our new facilities where you will also be trained on Pole Climbing and Bucket Trucks. On-the-job training includes exposure to various construction equipment including Directional Drill Rigs, Mini Excavators, Trenchers, and Locators. Fiber optic training includes Fusion Splicing, Fault Detection, and exposure to OTDRs and other advanced testing equipment.
This position is eligible for a $5,000 sign-on bonus! (The gross Bonus amount will be paid at 50% following 3 months after the Employee’s effective start date, and 50% following 12 months after the Employee’s effective start date.)
This position can be hired at either a Outside Plant Construction Technician I (requisition ID #2023-22621), or an Outside Plant Construction Technician II (requisition ID #2023-22459) level, depending on the skills and qualifications of the candidate. Different job postings exist for each of these positions. Please reference each job posting for the minimum qualifications required for each role and submit an application for each level that you are both interested and qualified for.
The pay range listed for this position represents the low and high end of the base compensation range. The actual offer amount will carefully consider multiple factors, such as relevant skills, qualifications, work experience, location and/or competencies that align with the specified role. Certain positions are eligible for additional forms of compensation such as bonuses and equity awards.
TDS Telecommunications LLC (TDS Telecom/TDS®) delivers high-speed internet, TV entertainment, and phone services to a mix of rural and suburban communities throughout the U.S. With 1.2 million connections, TDS is a rapidly growing technology company. Powered by fiber-optics and new industry-leading technologies, TDS delivers up to 8 Gigabit internet speeds and offers internet-protocol based TV entertainment solutions along with traditional phone services. TDS also offers businesses VoIP advanced communications solutions, dedicated internet service, data networking, and hosted-managed services. Visit .
TDS Telecom, headquartered in Madison, Wis., employs 3,500 people and is a subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. [NYSE: TDS], a Fortune 1000® company. Founded in 1969, Telephone and Data Systems provides wireless, broadband, video and voice; and hosted and managed services to approximately 6 million connections nationwide through its businesses: UScellular, TDS Telecom, and OneNeck IT Solutions. Visit .
- Performs general construction labor in various weather conditions while utilizing safety fundamentals.
- Assists with and performs the transportation of required construction equipment to and from the worksite.
- Assists with and performs the placement of new aerial and buried fiber according to maps, staking sheets, and locate markings.
- Uses hand tools, cable locators, and test equipment.
- Installs and/or sets enclosures (buried and aerial) vaults, pedestals, and handholes.
- Climbs poles, ladders, towers, and other structures as needed; uses bucket truck when required.
- Marks/labels fiber optic and/or copper facilities.
- Uses dispatching application and associated tools.
- Assists with fiber splicing and repairs.
- Assists with outside plant preventative maintenance.
- Performs landscape restoration after project completion.
- Services, cleans, maintains, and repairs equipment.
- 6+ months experience in any combination of the following areas: customer service, electrical or utility construction, or TDS Telecom Field Services internship -OR-technical certification (or higher) -OR- current military service, or prior military service with honorable discharge.
- Must follow the TDS attendance guidelines in order to meet TDS’s business needs including but not limited to our obligations to our customers and to our customers’ needs.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and remain eligible for DOT requirements.
- Must have the ability to obtain a Class A CDL. A current CDL is preferred at hire, but TDS will train and certify eligible associates through its in-house CDL certification program after hire.
- Physical requirements may vary based on company needs: Ability to climb poles, ladders, towers, and other structures as needed. Ability to kneel, dig, lift, and pull.
- Upon hire, must successfully complete customer-specific requirements, which may include a background check administered by the customer.
- Basic understanding of telecommunication products and services.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Requires being available for on-call/standby responsibilities and may require occasional travel.
- Must be willing to work overtime as needed. May be required to work various/swing shifts as business needs dictate.
- Must be able to operate vehicles with manual transmissions.
Do you meet all of the Required Qualifications, but aren’t sure if your experience meets the Other Qualifications? We encourage you to apply. Research shows that some candidates may not apply for jobs unless they feel they meet 100% of the qualifications, when, in fact, they have the skills and experience to be successful in the role. Experience and skills come in many different forms and may not always look identical to what we have on paper, but still lead to success in the role. If you meet the Required Qualifications and believe you have what it takes to be successful in the position, apply today.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must also be able to climb poles, ladders, towers or other structures. The employee is occasionally required to sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and may have to work in attics and crawl spaces, or high-risk areas such as high voltage electrical, trenches, and manholes. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and heavy equipment; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is at times loud.
Associates scheduled to work 20 or more hours per week have access to medical, dental, vision, life insurance, a 401(k) plan, and paid time off benefits such as vacation (15 days accrued per year for full-time; pro-rated for part-time associates working between 20-39 hours), sick leave (10 days accrued per year for full-time and pro-rated for all other associates), seven paid national holidays and one floating holiday, paid parental leave (2 weeks after 12 months of employment), among others. Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability coverage is also available for associates working 30 or more hours per week and Education Assistance is available to full-time associates. Associates scheduled to work under twenty hours per week or for a limited term (i.e. interns) are eligible for medical coverage, the 401(k) plan (if 18 or older), as well as sick leave (10 days accrued per year for full-time and pro-rated for all other associates). For more detail on the benefits we offer .
At TDS, we embrace Equal Employment Opportunity by valuing our differences and consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by law. To learn about our diversity & inclusion philosophy and culture, !
$21.75 – $32.62
Location: Appleton, WI
Job date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 03:19:27 GMT
Apply for the job now!