Job Vacancy Network/Telecommunications Analyst III Fairfax County
Job title: Network/Telecommunications Analyst III
Company: Fairfax County
Job description: Works as a part of our Technology Infrastructure Division’s (TID) Enterprise Networking team. The county wide enterprise network is a large complex metropolitan (MAN) and wide area network (WAN) infrastructure that delivers secure transmission of data, video and voice communications for 400+ regional locations providing critical county services. Under the general supervision of the Network Operations Manager the Network Engineer performs analysis and activities that enhance as well as support the daily operations of the enterprise network. This position performs duties with DIT teams including Information Security and all public safety agencies.
- Installs, configures, repairs, replaces, patches, upgrades, tests, manages version levels and config files of the enterprise network switches and routers; limited configuration of distribution equipment; comply with the county’s security and network architecture standards, policies, and procedures.
- Provides Tier-II and Tier-III network support for incidents escalated from the Help Desk or other team members. Escalates unresolved incidents to Tier IV or vendor technical assistance.
- Documents and conducts in-depth troubleshooting of hardware, firmware, software, and infrastructure using approved network management system (NMS) utilities, network traffic analyzers and solution controller platforms.
- Acts as a technical specialist in troubleshooting and incident management during service interuptions.
- Works in coordination with support teams providing assistance.
- Conducts AP placement, RF survey procedures, and other wireless functions. Ability to independently conduct daily walking, in field, RF surveys, RF troubleshooting/ investigation, and AP troubleshooting using appropriate hardware and software.
- Periodic review and upgrading of system firmware, application software and IOS.
- Serves as the point of contact between the network operations team and other internal departments.
- Provides network availability, outage and status reporting.
- Leads or assists in documenting network diagrams, inventory and changes.
- Lifting, climbing and driving are all activities required of this position.
- Participates in the on-call support rotation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)
Possession of an associate’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, electronics, or a related field; plus four years’ network and/or telecommunications experience; or a bachelor’s degree in such fields; plus two years’ experience in network or telecommunications system design, analysis, installation, and troubleshooting.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Valid driver’s license.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Five years (5) of Tier-III network operations experience.
- Degree in a technical discipline.
- One certification equivalent to a CCNP / CCDA / CCDP / JNCIS with two or more years of experience.
- In-depth knowledge and experience with layer-2 and layer-3 networking equipment, protocols and services in a wireless and wired enterprise network. Prefer candidates with advanced knowledge and experience with many network technologies to include but not limited to VLAN, VRF, MPLS, OSPF, BGP, EIGRP, VPN, L3-VPNs, SD-WAN AND QoS in a MAN / WAN / LAN architecture.
- Experience within a federal or local government setting supporting public service agency business branches to include public safety, taxes, libraries and human services. Self motivated individual that is able to work independently and collaboratively demonstrating excellent customer service and communication skills.
Work is generally sedentary, performed in a normal office environment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations. Lifting (Up to 50 pounds), climbing ladders, and driving County vehicles is required. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home ( ) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.
Job date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 23:46:04 GMT
Apply for the job now!