Job Vacancy NETWORK TECHNICIAN – CWA – Eden Prairie, MN Lumen Technologies
Job title: NETWORK TECHNICIAN – CWA – Eden Prairie, MN
Company: Lumen Technologies
Job description: About Lumen
Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
As a Lumen Network Technician, focused on installation and maintenance you will be responsible for all aspects of cable repair and maintenance both copper and ﬁber splicing, carrier systems repair and maintenance will be a feature of this position, also including but is not limited to installation and repairs on POTS and DSL services, buried section repairs (dig & ﬁx), rehab and corrective action on irregular plant conditions in all aerial, buried and underground plant plus all installation aspects to include, but is not limited of GPON, DSL, bonded DSL and POTS services.
Posting: 8/28 – 9/7/2023
The Main Responsibilities
- Analyzes and troubleshoots basic technical problems or issues.
- Reviews and discusses service order requirements and equipment requests with customers, evaluating customers, telecommunication needs and suggesting additional/alternative service as appropriate.
- Installs, maintains/repairs, and tests residential/small business telecommunication service (POTS, Hicap circuits and DSL).
- Makes splicing rearrangements on existing facilities in buried, underground, aerial and building work locations.
- Performs splicing functions on all other types of outside plant facilities where the work requires cable sheath openings.
- Performs Central Office work as required to meet customer commitments.
- Connects wires and cables to terminals, and attaches/detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, and poles.
- Uses hand tools, power tools (air and electric), and specialty tools, including electric and electronic measuring devices (e.g., multi-meters, volt-ohm meters).
- Performs continuity and/or conformance testing.
- Reads and interprets customer service orders, repair tickets, technical (i.e., mechanical, electrical, digital) drawings, maps, blueprints, diagrams, etc. from supervisor or other designated employees and performs specified work.
- Works with telecom color-coded wires and cables.
- Able to accurately locate underground cables and to repair cut cable of all sizes.
- Ability to work varying shifts and hours including possible mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays.
- Successful completion and passage of all applicable employment assessments and interviews.
- Selected candidate is required to remain in the position for a minimum of 30 months (Time in Title) and 18 months (Time in Location).
What We Look For in a Candidate
- At least six (6) months of experience within the last five years installing, maintaining/repairing, and testing residential/small business telecommunication service, both POTS and HSI.
- At least six (6) months of experience within the last five years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- Knowledge of basic electricity, as it relates to telecommunications (through classes or on-the-job training), which includes: knowledge related to the basic principles, theories, and applications of electricity (e.g., voltage, current, resistance, power, grounding, insulation, Ohm’s Law, AC/DC); knowledge of basic electrical components (e.g., conductors, insulators, switches, capacitors, inductors, transformers) and basic circuit design; and knowledge of the operation and application of common electrical components and common measurement instruments (e.g., multi-meters, oscilloscopes).
- Working knowledge of test equipment (e.g., Tech Tad, Sidekick, volt-ohm meters, transmission measuring sets).
- Ability to complete designated amount of work in a specified timeframe (e.g., quality jobs per day), adjusting work assignments or schedules to meet changing work-related priorities or demands.
- Ability to provide efficient, quality service to both internal and external customers both face-to-face and over-the-phone.
- Ability to work well with others to achieve common goals and to foster a cooperative climate, as well as to work independently in the field with little supervision.
- Ability to climb and work at elevations (e.g., from ladders, poles, lift trucks) exceeding 18 feet.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (e.g., attics, crawl spaces, utility holes).
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to: lifting objects weighing over 100 pounds.
- Ability to perform job activities outdoors in different weather conditions (e.g., extreme cold and/or heat, inclement weather).
- A valid State driver’s license with a current satisfactory driving record, CDL preferred.
- At least 12 months experience within the last five years installing, repairing/maintaining, and testing residential/small business telecommunication service (POTS and DSL), including Design Services.
- At least 6 months of experience within the last five years with GPON/HSI/Access Line installation and repair.
- At least 12 months experience within the last five years maintaining/repairing and testing copper and/or fiber optic cable in an underground, aerial, or buried environment.
- At least 12 months of experience within the last five years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
What to Expect Next
Requisition #: 330264
When applying for a position, you may be subject to a background screen (criminal records check, motor vehicle report, and/or drug screen), depending on the requirements for the position. More information on what’s included in these checks can be found in the Post Offer section of our . Job-related concerns noted in the background screen may disqualify you from the new position or your current role. Background results will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
This position is part of a bargaining unit and represented by a union. Depending upon the applicable collective bargaining agreement under which you may be hired, you may be: (a) required to join the union and pay union dues as a condition of employment; or, (b) required to pay union dues, but not join the union as a condition of employment; or (c) free to chose whether or not to join the union, but if you do join the union you would be obligated to pay union dues.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, creed, veteran status, disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Job date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 22:29:07 GMT
Apply for the job now!