Job Vacancy Low Voltage – Service Technician AFL
Job title: Low Voltage – Service Technician
Job description: Description :
AFL manufactures industry-leading fiber optic cable, connectivity and accessories and provides engineering and installation services for some of the largest telecom customers in the world. Our company was founded in 1984 with a single fiber optic cable and today, we manufacture thousands of products, generate an excess of $1B in revenue, and employ more than 5,800 associates worldwide. At AFL, we recognize that our employees are our greatest asset. We hire and train each individual, investing in them to ensure success in their careers. With a commitment to professional development and growth, let us connect you to your next career opportunity.
The Service Technician is responsible for all aspects of equipment repair at our clients’ locations. Technical elements of the job include troubleshooting basic connectivity and mechanical issues. The position requires traveling to client sites and ensuring top-notch customer service. The Service Technician has gained the experience, trust and ability to work with minimal guidance and supervision. Service Technician plays an active role in installing complete and workable telecommunication solutions. The Service Technician is called upon to solve complex and difficult installation problems affecting component installation. Individuals classified as Service Technicians will be considered “experts” in the installation, testing and troubleshooting of telecommunication systems. Individuals in this classification may hold a BICSI or manufacturer certification. Any number of Technicians may be assigned to a particular project based on the size and complexity of the project.
This is an on-site position.
Only local candidates will be considered.
- Maintain a clean, neat, professional appearance… Wearing the company uniform during all project related duties unless specifically directed otherwise by a superior.
- Accept direction and critiques from Team Members in higher classifications.
- Traveling to client sites to troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve Telecommunications and Data/IT equipment issues as well as equipment maintenance within a designated territory.
- Ability to properly install both copper and fiber optic cable.
- Ability to properly terminate copper cable (Cat5e, Cat6, etc.).
- Ability to properly create and install labels.
- Ability to perform all component and system testing.
- Ability to complete the tasks assigned in a timely manner.
- Ability to understand basic wiring diagrams and installation instructions.
- Ability to complete the tasks assigned in a timely manner.
- Ability to perform as crew leader as assigned. Crew leader assignments will be made based on project specifics and the demonstrated abilities of the individual.
- Ability to assure that all team members reporting to you complete their assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to terminate common types of fiber optic fittings (SC, ST, LC) efficiently and to industry, manufacturer and AFL standards.
- Ability to complete Telecommunication Room build-outs including rack construction, ladder rack installation, wire management and backboard construction.
- Ability to articulate the differences and similarities in the testing requirements for the different categories of copper media (Category 5e, Category 6, etc.).
- Ability to configure and set-up test equipment to perform all required tests on each category of copper media using a variety of manufacturer test equipment.
- Ability to perform and document optical attenuation tests on single mode and multi-mode optical strands.
- Ability to configure, operate and analyze test data from Optical Time Domain Reflectometers.
- Must understand the National Electrical Code and Local Building Codes as they apply to low voltage to ensure that no violations are being performed on assigned projects.
- Ability to ground and bond all applicable components according to Project Scope of Work, Local and National Codes and Industry Standards.
- Technicians must possess the desire and ability to train other Technicians.
- Analytical Thinking – Exceptional ability to analyze data and utilize it to make sound decision
- Conflict Management and Resolution Skills – Build consensus, anticipate and solve problems
- Results focused – Ability to organize and manage multiple, and at time competing priorities
- Communication Skills – Demonstrate communication skills, both verbal and nonverbal, to help facilitate the sharing of information between people within the company and our clients.
- Relationship building skills – ability to work within a dynamic team setting and provide role model leadership to AFL workforce
- Must have 4 years of experience in the installation of cabling associated with: Telecom Systems, TCP/IP Networks, CCTV Security, Access control & Wireless Solutions.
- Must have the ability to install, terminate & test low voltage cables & fiber optical cables. Strong understanding of low voltage infrastructure and related services.
- Valid Drivers License
- Finger & wrist dexterity & hand/eye coordination.
- Ability to work from heights such as man lifts, scissor lifts & roof tops utilizing proper fall protection. Ability to use small hand tools.
- Ability to use power tools.
- Climbing of stairs, ladders, and/or scaffolds.
- Ability to walk, stand, bend, lift up to 50 lbs., and drive a vehicle.
- Proficient in MS Office, specifically Excel, Word, Visio, and Power Point
- Excellent Customer Service skills.
- Job is usually performed indoor environments under controlled environmental conditions.
- Ability to accept periodic assignments that involve travel away from immediate district office area based on client needs, business needs and project scope.
- Exposure to noisy or dusty conditions; chemicals & solvents; mechanical, electrical, and/or other hazards.
- General hours of Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm. But ability to provide support during and outside regular business hours is required.
- Regional travel required.
- Must be able to work in the United States.
Location: Dallas, TX
Job date: Sun, 06 Aug 2023 06:03:13 GMT
Apply for the job now!