Job Vacancy IT Network & Telecommunications – Journey Washington State
Job title: IT Network & Telecommunications – Journey
Company: Washington State
Job description: Description
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
WSDOT’s Technology Services Division (TSD) is currently seeking a journey-level network and telecommunication professional to fill a vacancy located in Shoreline, WA. This position will provide professional technical support and systems administration for all networking devices and telecommunications systems in the Northwest Region (NWR). In this role, you will ensure reliable data and voice communications for employees, partner agencies, and public customers by administering and maintaining various network switches, routers, firewalls and central telephone systems, desk phones, softphone app for PC, Android and iOS, and voice and data circuits in a 24 hour/7-day environment. This position will also support the critical need of employees to connect to the corporate network and to communicate while carrying out their mission of operating and improving the state’s transportation systems and ensuring the safety of the traveling public. The IT Network & Telecommunications – Journey position will play a key role in securing network and telecommunication systems by monitoring, detecting, investigating, analyzing, and responding to security events. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining the security of WSDOT IT and OT assets, processes, and technology, and maintain a working knowledge of all related systems.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the IT Network & Telecommunications – Journey will:
- Plan, implement and administer network and telecommunications infrastructure.
- Procure, dispose, configure, deploy, and troubleshoot network equipment and cabling.
- Provide technical support of telecommunications systems for the NWR and assist with statewide technical support for all medium to small WSDOT phone systems.
- Purchase, install, maintain, and repair of all telephone hardware and software so that reliable devices are always available to users.
- Design, install, and support NWR E911 roadway emergency phone system.
- Design, acquire, install, configure, and test and repair roadway emergency phone system, including all wiring, functionality and integration with normal phone system and SCADA tunnel control.
- Support NWR Networking and Server Technologies and assist other members or NW Infrastructure Team as needed by collaborating on technical challenges.
To be considered for this opportunity, at least one of the following are required:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science or Management Information Systems or Software Development, or related field and four (4) years of experience working in an Information Technology field. OR
- A two-year degree in computer science or closely related field and six (6) years of experience working in an Information Technology field. OR
- Eight (8) years of IT experience working in a customer serviced-focused technology organization.
In addition to one of the above, the following are also required:
- Two (2) years of experience that demonstrates network and telecommunications system administration troubleshooting skills and problem solving with an ability to make independent decisions and judgements about workflows and work priorities.
- Two (2) years of experience providing technical network consulting and performing installation of IT hardware and software.
- Two (2) years of experience supporting telecommunications hardware and software such as Microsoft Teams Telephony, PBX systems, IP Office systems, desk phones, cell phones, and voicemail.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Two (2) years of working knowledge of Cisco and Palo Alto networking equipment.
- Two (2) years of working knowledge of Avaya voice systems.
- Two (2) years of working knowledge of call recording and call management applications.
- Experience with project management principles and best practices for successfully leading efforts related to network and telecommunications implementations.
- Working knowledge of cybersecurity requirements such as WaTech Security Standards, Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards, CIS Critical Security Controls, and NIST Cybersecurity Framework.
*To review the full Position Description, please follow the directions in the Contact Us section of this posting.
- This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
- This position will require regular travel to various sites throughout the region and occasional travel to other sites across the state with possible overnight stays.
- The salary listed includes the legislative approved 5% salary premium for positions in King County.
- This position will spend a significant amount of time at WSDOT sites with the ability for some flexible/hybrid remote work options.
- In addition to base salary, employees may be entitled to other forms of compensation depending on the type, duties, or location of the position. For union-represented positions, more information on other forms of compensation can be found in the applicable
. Information on other compensation types for non-represented positions can be found in of the Washington Administrative Code. * The recruiting efforts for this position may be extended beyond the displayed closing date for as long and until a sufficient candidate pool has been established. However, the first review of applications will be conducted February 8, 2024. The Appointing Authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time thereafter. It is to your benefit to submit your application as soon as possible.
- WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system, therefore we are not eligible to extend STEM Optional Practical Training (OPT). For more information, please visit
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 12 paid holidays, full-time employees may earn up to 25 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to
for more information.
Check out this video to learn more:
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum of three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. NOTE: This information may be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the “APPLY” button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. All persons, regardless of race, ethnicity, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, and/or gender identity, are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter via email.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, at . Please be sure to reference 24DOT-HQ-03820 in the subject line.
Expected salary: $83260 – 111976 per year
Location: Shoreline, WA – King County, WA
Job date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 07:20:53 GMT
Apply for the job now!