Job Vacancy Intermediate Network/Telecommunications Technician University of Oklahoma
Job title: Intermediate Network/Telecommunications Technician
Company: University of Oklahoma
Job description: Title-Intermediate Net/Telecomm Technician
Team-IT Network and Telecom Team
This individual will be an integral member of the University of Oklahoma’s Network and Telecommunications Team implementing, deploying, and maintaining the campus wireless network infrastructure. They will work closely with administrative and academic offices to ensure quality connectivity that meets the missions of the campus community. As a member of the cross-functional Network and Telecommunications Team, they will also work to consult with campus departments on wireless network integrations and support campus users with wireless network-related issues.
The Intermediate Network/Telecommunications Technician responsibilities include:
- Provides interpretations, consultation, and technical support to users.
- Manages projects, including assigned staff.
- Maintains, installs, and troubleshoots computer hardware/software, telecommunication infrastructure, and associated peripherals.
- Plans and manages network cabling installations.
- Maintains and upgrades an approved network architecture.
- Configures and maintains network and computer equipment.
- Evaluates networking equipment and new networking technology.
- Interprets policies and procedures effectively to guide self and others.
- Troubleshoots, repairs, and maintains telephone equipment.
- Completes requests of new services.
- Determines methodology for installing telephone services and appropriateness of moderate equipment changes or modifications, call switches, test trunks, and test links.
- Installs communication circuits.
- Resolves problems involving procedural and technical matters which do not always have precedents.
- Establishes and measures goals and initiates new activities in support of goals.
- Assesses network architecture and recommends improvements.
- Maintaining logs and databases.
- Writes system scripts.
- May produce reports and summaries for management and/or users including status reports, problem reports, progress summaries, and system utilization reports.
- Performs various duties as needed to successfully fulfill the function of the position.
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Experience: 18 months experience in telecommunications cabling, phone installations, networking, hardware/software support, or similar experience.
Equivalency/Substitution: Will accept 48 months related experience in lieu of the Bachelor’s degree. for a total of 66 months related experience.
- Working knowledge of hardware, software, and network installation techniques.·
- Knowledge of network setup and security·
- Knowledge of color codes used by the communication network field·
- Cabling standards for CAT 6·
- Networking for VoIP and desktop phones·
- Ability to accurately read and understand written materials and instructions
- Knowledge of enterprise wireless network standards
- Knowledge of spectrum analysis and enterprise wireless network troubleshooting methods
- Understanding of role-based authentication, device-based authentication, or similar Network Access Control (NAC) methods
- Physical: Sit for prolonged periods. Ability to engage in repetitive motion. Communicate effectively and listen. Manual dexterity.
- Environmental: Standard Office Work Environment.
Diversity Statement: The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person’s unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.
Location: Tulsa, OK
Job date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 02:17:24 GMT
Apply for the job now!