Job Vacancy Graduate Transportation Engineer/Planner (Available 2024) Arup
Job title: Graduate Transportation Engineer/Planner (Available 2024)
Job description: A Future with purpose
At Arup we’re dedicated to sustainable development and to do socially useful work that has meaning. Our purpose, shared values and collaborative approach has set us apart for over 75 years, guiding how we shape a better world.
We solve the world’s most complex problems and deliver what seems impossible, with curiosity and creativity. We’re a thriving and growing organization which offers you many possibilities to shape a better world, and your future.
Arup’s Transportation, Logistics, and Urban Planning (TLUP) works with public and private sector clients who are eager to embrace innovation, sustainability, and social impact in planning. Our work includes network optimization to improve opportunity accessibility, traffic modeling and simulation to help engineers identify ways to relieve congestion without costly new construction, and multi-modal planning for campuses that want to be meaningfully integrated with the surrounding neighborhood.
We know that all our work exists in a dynamic, often inequitable environment, in which data is imperfect or not completely transparent. So, while daily tasks vary across team members – whose focus or expertise may be in a technical skill, project management, industry, or other domain – we all share a deep appreciation for how to answer ambiguous, evolving questions that lead to decisions affecting real people. Across all of TLUP, regardless of discipline or industry, we aim to harmonize qualitative and quantitative analysis, engage with stakeholders, and think creatively to deliver contextually responsive and useful solutions. We collaborate with our clients to create great urban places and achieve sustainable planning outcomes in ‘shaping a better world’.
The Americas East TLUP team is seeking a hardworking and motivated transportation engineer or planner. We are looking for someone who has a strong interest in transportation engineering as it relates to transportation planning, sustainability, and infrastructure projects. Specifically, the candidate will be involved in data analytics, traffic/transit operations analysis, street design, and modeling as relevant to projects. The ideal candidate will have strong quantitative/analytic skills and an eagerness to learn and contribute to a multi-disciplinary environment.
This role will be available to candidates in New York, Boston, or Chicago offices.
The Integrated Planning team at Arup performs work in the following areas:
- Transportation/traffic engineering/planning
- Transit analysis and design
- Conceptual transportation design
- Transportation policy analysis, including policy analysis
- Transportation data analysis and visualization
- Focus on transportation equity, carbon neutrality and resiliency
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Conducting research and analysis for project
- Data collection and analysis (with potential occasional site visits for field observations)
- Completing and documenting technical analyses. Examples of technical analysis may include:
- Data analysis: Excel, PowerBI, R, FME
- Modeling and transportation analysis: Synchro, Vissim, Aimsun
- Interest or experience in using macroscopic modeling tools (ex. TransCAD, Emme, Cube), geometric design (ex. AutoCAD) will be considered an asset, or transit planning tools
- Preparing reports and quality graphics/visualizations for technical and non-technical audiences
- Preparing presentations for clients and attending meetings with senior staff
Is this role right for you?
We’re looking for graduates who are curious and ready to evolve how you think and work. Our strength comes from how we respect, share and connect our diverse experiences, perspectives and ideas. At Arup, you belong to an extraordinary collective – in which we encourage individuality to thrive. If you can share your knowledge and ideas and encourage others to do the same; whilst having a desire to deliver excellent services for clients – we’d like to hear from you.
- Bachelor’s Degree Transportation Engineering, Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, or related field.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Strong communication skills, written and oral
- Highly motivated and willing to take on new challenges
- Willing to work closely with an enthusiastic and broadly skilled team
- Creativity in intellectual and technical approach
- Passion for the urban environment
- Candidate must be eligible to work in the US without the need for employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future to be considered for this role.
- Master’s degree in Transportation Engineering, Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, or related field.
- Eligibility for and desire to obtain EIT/PE designation
- Experience with analytical or design tools (e.g. Synchro, Vissim, AutoCAD, Aimsun, MicroStation, ArcGIS, SketchUp, Illustrator, PowerBI, AutoTurn/AutoTrack, TransCAD, Visum, Cube/Voyager, Legion, HCS, etc.)
- Experience with system programming languages (ex. Python, R, Julia)
- Experience with mobility access tools: OpenStreetMap, GTFS feeds, Conveyal, Google API
- Familiarity with US traffic planning and engineering practices with US traffic planning and engineering practices
- Participation in local professional associations
Our team’s notable projects
For over seven decades Arup has been at the forefront of the most ambitious and innovative design and engineering. From concert halls to national stadiums, renewable energy to driverless cars, we continue to add to that history every day. Notable projects from our Transportation team include:
- Lower Hudson Transit Link
- MBTA Bus Network Redesign
- Link21/Second Transbay Rail Crossing Planning and Engineering
- San Jose Access and Mobility Plan
Example types of projects include:
- corridor studies
- site master plans
- multimodal planning studies
- support for major infrastructure projects
- station area and airport landside plans
- parking studies
- ITS initiatives
- freight analyses
- emerging mobility studies
What we offer you
When you start your career with Arup, you will have the opportunity to deliver high quality valuable work for our clients. Our inclusive and diverse work environment will allow you to thrive and build your technical, project management and business development skills needed to be successful in our firm. As a Graduate you have the opportunity to attend our Graduate Experience Program giving you the opportunity to meet your peers across the region and learn about our people, projects, and clients through panel discussions, design activities, and networking events.
New York City Hiring Range – The good faith base salary hiring range for this job if performed in New York City, NY is $74,000 to $81,000 per year. Benefits are not included in the base salary. Please note hiring ranges for candidates performing work outside of New York City, NY will differ.
Benefits that Work – At Arup, we have a comprehensive and valuable benefits program that works for our employees and their families while keeping costs low. These benefits provide health and welfare security for you as well as paid time off for rest and renewal. Our Global Profit Share Plan (paid bi-annually) provides an opportunity for you to share in the success of the Firm. As a valued employee of Arup, you can also choose to participate in our 401(k) plan with up to 10% company match to help you save for your future.
Flexible Working – We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options for alternative schedules and the ability to work outside of the office for a portion of your workweek are available.
We will be reviewing our candidates for this position on a rolling basis. Once you have applied you will be evaluated and potentially moved on to the next round, at which point a member of the talent resourcing team will reach out to you directly.
Different people, shared values
Our internal employee networks support our inclusive culture – from race, ethnicity and cross-cultural working to gender, LGBTQ+ and disability – we aim to create a space for you to express yourself and make a positive difference – Discover more about life at Arup at .
Arup is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, spouse of protected veteran, or disability.
Expected salary: $74000 – 81000 per year
Location: New York City, NY
Job date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 02:05:04 GMT
Apply for the job now!