Job Vacancy Fellow, Latino USA – The Futuro Media Group FUTURO MEDIA GROUP
Job title: Fellow, Latino USA – The Futuro Media Group
Company: FUTURO MEDIA GROUP
Job description: Job description
Fellow, Latino USA – The Futuro Media Group (NY)
a national weekly podcast and radio program telling stories about Latino and other underrepresented communities, is taking applications for a 8-month-long fellowship. We are seeking recent graduates from a journalism program or entry-level journalism professionals with a passionate interest in audio reporting that centers the voices and stories of girls, young women, and gender-fluid individuals of color in New York City, and will focus on stories that encourage them to lead self-determined lives. This fellowship is funded by the .
The fellowship is open to women and/or gender-fluid reporters with no more than five years’ experience in the field. They will hone their journalistic and longform storytelling skills as well as gain technical radio broadcasting and podcasting skills.
The fellowship will start on September 15th, 2022 and end in April 2023. This is a remote position, so the Fellow will be based out of its U.S. home state. The Fellow will be immersed in Latino USA’s editorial and production process, particularly assisting and collaborating in the production of stories from Latino USA’s unique perspective. Their involvement will include research, fact-checking, tape-cutting, and other tasks vital to the development of stories.
The ideal candidate should be collaborative and enjoy production and reporting. They should have a passion for telling Latino stories and working with voices that are rarely heard in the public media landscape. We’re a small shop, so we need someone who is a true team player unafraid of rolling up their sleeves and doing whatever it takes to complete an assignment or task.
About Latino USA:
On the air for close to 30 years and distributed by PRX, Latino USA is the only national, English-language news radio program produced from a Latino perspective. Anchored by Maria Hinojosa, the mission of Latino USA is to provide weekly insights into the lived experiences of Latino communities, and to be a window to the cultural, political and social ideas that impact the country’s demographic. Each week, we present a unique mix of coverage on culture and politics, diverse on-air voices, and in-depth reporting on current and emerging issues impacting Latinos and the nation. The offices of Futuro Media Group, which produces Latino USA, are located in Harlem, in New York City.
Duties and Expectations
Reporting to a Latino USA leader with additional guidance from the entire Editorial staff, the Fellow will:
- Attend editorial meetings at least three times a week;
- Assist in the production of stories through research, fact-checking, cutting tape, transcribing, and other production tasks as needed;
- Produce one story centering the voices and stories of girls, young women, and gender-fluid individuals of color in New York City during the duration of the Fellowship;
- Assist with the creation of multimedia content (web copy, tweets, social media entries, photos, etc.) for stories;
- Participate in group listens of other LUSA stories and provide feedback;
- Participate, as needed, on reporting trips (solo, with host, and/or with other producers);
For the story that they produce, the Fellow will be expected to:
- Write a fleshed-out pitch and share it at an editorial meeting. Report, tape, write script, assemble and voice the story;
- Secure and organize audio materials for the story;
- Participate in group listens of their story;
- Provide mix notes and broadcast cuts as needed to engineers
- Write web and social media copy.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, Latino studies, or a related field, or comparable work experience;
- Some work experience in radio journalism, including internships, or experience in other journalism mediums and some audio production experience a plus, but not required;
- Spanish-language skills a plus, but not required;
- A knack for developing relationships and sources;
- Experience with ProTools or similar digital audio editing platforms;
- Commitment to diverse coverage within and outside of the Latino community, in terms of sexual orientation, gender, and race;
- Excellent attention to detail is key;
- Excellent team player and thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment;
- Be someone who would do anything to not miss a deadline;
- Strong time management skills;
- Ability to work independently while also fitting into a small, focused team;
- Be curious with a desire to keep learning;
- Accept productive criticism and feedback intended to help you grow;
- Must love radio/podcasts.
- Location: Remote but with access to our office in Harlem.
Applicants who are based in New York City, or have an NYC connection, are preferred. * Salary: $15/hr based on four days a week, paid on a bi-weekly schedule.
- Recording equipment and audio editing software will be provided.
- Duration: 9/2022 through 4/2023
DEADLINE AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Please submit the following:
- A cover letter summarizing your background and goals, and why you would be an appropriate fit for this fellowship;
- Your resume stating qualifications;
- Three (3) work samples (can be links);
- Two (2) references.
- Optional: An outline of a Project proposal and your reporting strategy, and summary of media coverage of the subject you wish to cover.
Must be submitted by Wednesday, August 17, 2022 at 10 am EST to be considered for this position, but we encourage early applications.
Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted.
Futuro Media is a diverse work environment and encourages female and/or gender-fluid individuals from all backgrounds to apply. Journalists of color and of other diverse backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
About The Futuro Media Group
The Futuro Media Group is a Pulitzer Prize winning independent nonprofit organization producing multimedia journalism that explores and gives a critical voice to the diversity of the American experience. Based in Harlem and founded in 2010 by award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa, Futuro Media is committed to creating multimedia content for and about the new American mainstream in the service of empowering people to navigate the complexities of an increasingly diverse and connected world.
Powered by JazzHR
Expected salary: $15 per hour
Location: New York City, NY
Job date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 22:08:35 GMT
Apply for the job now!