Job Vacancy Emergency Telecommunications Program Manager Global Support and Development
Job title: Emergency Telecommunications Program Manager
Company: Global Support and Development
Job description: Position Title: Emergency Telecommunications Program Manager
Supervisor’s Title: Director of Capabilities
Exemption Status: TBD
Global Support and Development (GSD) is a humanitarian organization whose mission is to rapidly respond to disasters in collaboration with at-risk communities and support them to prepare for future disasters. We value collaboration and seek opportunities to amplify the work of others in-country, both in preparation for and in response to disasters. By integrating our team’s diverse skill sets and resources into local responses, we are able to provide rapid response assistance to affected communities in coordination with regional and country-level partners. We also work to build local capacity through community-led preparedness initiatives. GSD’s priority Area of Engagement is currently Latin America and the Caribbean, with targeted support to the South Pacific (and expected future increase in operations for 2024 and beyond).
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
GSD is hiring an emergency telecommunications (ETC) individual to build on internal research towards offering ETC as a response capability to our partners. We envision being able to ensure conditions whereby people affected by disasters can connect with their loved ones in the immediate aftermath of the crisis, connect with assistance; and which enables humanitarian actors to coordinate and launch their responses. GSD believes that everyone deserves the right to access vital information and resources during times of crisis, regardless of their location or circumstances, and the work of the consultant will inform how GSD goes about achieving this aim.
The overall mission of the incumbent will be to research and connect with other ETC actors, then make recommendations to GSD leadership about gaps to achieving the ETC goal. Additionally, the incumbent, alongside GSD’s internal working group, will determine how to address these gaps, and recommend where:
1) Needs are already covered;
2) GSD can contract services from an external company;
3) GSD should partner with another NGO; or
4) Where we should hire staff and procure our own equipment.
- Review secondary data on emergency telecommunications in past crises, including: gaps in response; key challenges in implementing solutions; key humanitarian, government and private sector actors (telecommunications companies and other technology solution companies); successful projects, and key innovative solutions; After identifying key actors, prioritize top players and conduct key informant interviews (KII) to further inform key gaps;
- consider community-level FGDs if needed to receive community voices;
- Review notes from previous KIIs completed by the ETC working group;
- Review notes from Partnership outreach visits to find any mentions of ETC; liaise on a regular basis with Partnerships team for two-way communication from simultaneous workstreams (this working group and strategy 2030 development);
- Draft research findings;
- Draft ETC strategy proposal for Chief of Engagements and CEO;
- If recommended to build out an ETC team at GSD, draft Job Description(s) and support the Human Resources department in the benchmarking process, candidate shortlisting, hiring panel and provide feedback and recommendations on the candidates;
- If recommended to build out an ETC team at GSD, review team internal telecommunications specialist Job Description and team internal telecommunications material for harmonization opportunities with external ETC strategy;
- Deploy for emergency responses in the Caribbean, if required, to support the start-up of ETC operations with GSD’s partners;
- Prompt and action GSD’s core values of accountability, humility, and integrity in all work we conduct;
- Promote good stewardship of financial and other resources to achieve maximum benefit to those impacted by disaster or at risk of impact; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Five (5) or more years of relevant emergency telecommunications experience, preferably in the humanitarian sector;
- Three (3) or more years experience operating preferably in an international context; and
- Proven experience developing programs and teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; or
- Equivalent experience and training.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to rapidly shift tasks;
- Experience working and/or traveling domestically and internationally; and
- Working knowledge of Spanish and/or French desired.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Routine domestic and international travel up to 10% is required.
This job description is a summary rather than a detailed list of the duties performed. The essential functions, knowledge, skills, and working conditions may change along with business needs. This job description does not constitute a contract between employer and employee as employment is at will. Global Support and Development provides reasonable accommodations to assist qualified individuals in order to perform the essential functions their job requires.
Note: GSD requires that all employees comply with our current immunization policy.
GSD is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and embraces all candidates regardless of race, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, color, religion, and reprisal.
GSD promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion in all candidate selections.
Job date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 22:26:22 GMT
Apply for the job now!