Job Vacancy Deputy Prosecuting Attorney – District Court Island County
Job title: Deputy Prosecuting Attorney – District Court
Company: Island County
Job description: The Island County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office is seeking a District Court Deputy Prosecuting Attorney to join our Criminal Division. Our team of prosecutors and paralegals are dedicated to holding criminals and juvenile offenders accountable, while ensuring the fundamental guarantees of due process and justice are fulfilled in every case. We strive to set the standard for the highest level of professionalism and ethics for the practice of law in Island County.
The employee in this position will represent the State at all levels of District Court cases, from referral to disposition to appeal. A desire to learn and to serve our community in the administration of justice is essential for any applicant. Strong written and oral communication skills are a must. Also important is the ability to keep perspective, humility, and humor in a sometimes intense working environment.
Position is open until filled. Pay within range is dependent upon qualifications.
All applications must include a cover letter, resume, and legal writing sample.
- Review police reports to ensure the proper charge(s) have been filed.
- Advise law enforcement personnel on technical legal issues.
- Evaluate the strength of cases for trial and prepare pretrial motions and orders.
- Coordinate with law enforcement officers for follow up on missing information, legal research, briefing, and other related matters.
- Amend charges/file additional charges as appropriate.
- Interview all witnesses prior to trial and prior to any contested hearings, including law enforcement officers, civilian and expert witnesses.
- Prepare factual testimony of lay and expert witnesses and exhibits, as well as legal issues that will arise during the course of any hearing or trial.
- Negotiate with defense attorneys for possible pretrial resolution.
- Perform all duties relevant to trial, sentencing, and appeals.
- Perform other tasks as directed.
As experience is gained, the Deputy Prosecuting Attorney may be assigned to prosecute increasingly complex and more serious crimes, including juvenile and adult felony cases in Superior Court.
- Knowledge of legal and constitutional principles and their application.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and practices of legal research and investigations, criminal law and procedures in Washington and current issues in the field of criminal law.
- Knowledge of judicial procedures and the rules of evidence.
- Knowledge of the duties, powers, limitations and responsibilities of the Island County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.
- Knowledge of District Court policies and procedures, including local court rules.
- Skills in managing large caseloads and maintaining appropriate records, logs and case files.
- Ability to present statements of fact, law and argument clearly and logically in written and oral form. Skill in identifying and articulating subtle differences, distinctions and nuances clearly. Ability to persuasively present a case within evidentiary rules and law.
- Confidence in public speaking in an adversarial setting.
- Bachelor of Arts or Sciences Degree.
- Successful passage of the Washington State Bar examination and current membership in the Washington State Bar Association.
- Valid driver’s license.
Expected salary: $71260 per year
Job date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 02:30:56 GMT
Apply for the job now!