Job Vacancy Assistant Telecommunication Electrician Southern Company
Job title: Assistant Telecommunication Electrician
Company: Southern Company
Job description: Assistant Telecommunication Electrician
The Telecommunication Electrician is responsible for the installation, maintenance (both reactive and preventive) and project support on the Southern Company’s voice, data, and telecommunications transport networks. These networks include analog and digital microwave, fiber optics, LANs (local area networks), and voice and data wireless systems. These systems are installed, maintained, and repaired in accordance with established standards, service levels, operational processes, and applicable work agreements.
- Two-year degree (college/technical/vocational) or 3 years of equivalent experience in electronics, telecommunications and/or computer technology is required.
- FCC General Radiotelephone Operators License or equivalent license for radio repair is preferred, but not required for initial employment.
- An FCC license or equivalent license will be required at the end of six months employment.
- Technical knowledge and skills that would enable you to pass the Alabama Power Craft Knowledge and Skills test is required before employment (a study guide is provided).
- Understanding of the various topologies, e.g., telecommunications, wireless, fiber optics, data, and voice networks and how they interface with each other is required.
- Ability to logically troubleshoot and repair hardware and software associated with personal computers, peripheral devices, voice systems, data networks, telecommunications systems and ancillary equipment is required.
- Working knowledge of fiber optic cables and systems, equipment, installation, and repair
- Working knowledge of radio communication systems.
- Knowledge of voice and data wireless systems and troubleshooting techniques.
- Knowledge of data communications and packet switch networks.
- Knowledge of PC hardware, operating systems, and associated peripheral and software components.
- Must have demonstrated personal computer skills along with a general understanding of corporate applications and standard desktop products.
- Ability to work independently, self -starter with good time management skills.
- Must have good verbal and written communications skills.
- Responsible for the installation, maintenance (both reactive and preventive) and project support on the Southern Company’s voice, data, and telecommunications transport networks
- Responsible for participating in on-call procedures/operations.
- Responsible for interfacing with and coordination of contractors and/or vendors associated with the Field Operations function as appropriate.
- Responsible for interfacing with the customer and other IT groups related to problems and installations as appropriate.
- Responsible for understanding and adhering to billing and performance processes and procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate circuit and equipment inventories and documentation of assigned sites.
- Must take and pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) physical exam.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, be a self-starter, and have excellent time management skills.
- Ability to interface with, direct, and coordinate contractors as needed.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills.
- Follows safe work practices and fosters a safe workplace.
- All business dealings exhibit Southern Company Values (DE&I, Safety First, Unquestionable Trust, Superior Performance, and Total Commitment).
- Seeks opportunities to learn and transfer knowledge to others.
- Responsible for supporting 24×7 on-call operations.
- Ability to drive long distances, walk on uneven surfaces, climb ladders, work above shoulder height, and lift up to 50lbs.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
Alabama Power provides the valuable combination of competitive prices, reliable electricity supply and unparalleled service to 1.4 million homes, businesses and industries in the southern two-thirds of Alabama.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America’s premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune’s annual World’s Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 23:43:39 GMT
Apply for the job now!